Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

What should we learn?







Social Media Revolution 2011

I expected to see many of the social networking sties and search engines appear. However, I was shocked to see the statistics. I knew YouTube was used a lot, I didn't know it is the second largest search engine used. The one I saw popping up the most is Facebook. I know Facebook can be used for some positive things, yet there seemed to be a lot of negative aspects brought up. I think using technology is very useful, but we need to watch out for what is out there and the way we use it in the classroom. I believe it's important to familiarize ourselves with resources available since our students use them on a daily basis. It's slightly disturbing seeing that one in five divorces were cause blamed on Facebook. If divorces are being blamed, what other ways can Facebook negatively impact our students lives? When I ask myself this question cyber bullying instantly comes to mind.

Educational Change Challenge

This video hit close for me. In the very beginning "every student can learn" is exactly what I say. "Teachers need to exist in the space the students exist" is another quote I enjoyed hearing. The questions that they were asking about creating life long learners in the classroom is exactly what we should be asking ourselves. I took this video as a self check. All of the quotes mentioned is how all teachers should be thinking. Education has come a long way. We need to connect with our students and  understand that each student is not going to learn at the same pace. Knowing each of our students and knowing their needs will help develop life long learners.


4 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement, "I knew YouTube was used a lot, I didn't know it is the second largest search engine used". I didn't know that either and that was shocking to me as well. I also agree that Facebook can be used in a positive way and not so focused on the negative ways. Also, the second video you watched sounds wonderful and very useful to understand the meaning of why we teach. Connecting with our students is vital and cooperation is the key to understanding our students. I really enjoyed your blog post Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching our students how to handle things like cyber-bullying is now one of our new responsibilities as teachers. We also need to teach our students how to think critically about information that they find online by checking for accuracy and bias. Privacy is another issue that both teachers and students need to be very aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was shocked by the statistics in the Social media revolution too. I never know such a big net-population of the social media. By the way, I like your blog's layout includes your background picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social media represents a growing component of societal interaction. It has affected how we plan meetings, communicate to one another, disseminate documents, and so on. It only makes sense that educators embrace this technology to positively supplement instruction in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete